Juniper VPN - Logging In
This page contains step-by-step instructions for logging into the Juniper VPN Appliance. The only thing needed to log in for basic access is a web browser and your Advanstar network credentials.
- First, open your web browser and visit http://connect.advanstar.com. This page contains Advanstar's Acceptable Use Policy, a link to these login instructions, and a list of available VPN endpoints. The Connect page is shown below with the available VPN endpoints highlighted:
- Select a VPN endpoint to connect to and click the link. This will take you to the VPN Login page shown below:
- Select the appropriate realm:
- Standard: The Standard realm requires no host checking and provides limited access to Advanstar's internal services. Many web-based services are available through the Standard realm, and unless you have a specific need to access an application in the Extended Access realm, you should always use the Standard realm.
- Extended Access: The Extended Access realm allows for access to more internal applications, but it requires more extensive host checking. In order to use the Extended Access realm, you may need to have the Juniper Service Installer service installed on your laptop or workstation. In most cases, this can only be done by the Advanstar IT Technology Support group. Contact the Service Desk if you require access to Extended Access applications and are having trouble logging into the Extended Access realm.
- Enter your Advanstar network credentials in the Username and Password boxes provided. This is the same username and password you use to log into your Advanstar workstation or to access your email through Outlook Web Access. After entering your credentials, click Sign In.
- If you are logging into the Extended Access realm, you will see the Host Checker running next. The Host Checker examines your computer to ensure that it has up to date antivirus software and critical patches. The purpose of the Host Checker is to ensure that infected or potentially dangerous computers are not allowed to threaten Advanstar's internal network through VPN. The check is usually a quick process, but in some cases, it can take up to several minutes to fully run. If the login process appears to hang here, please allow ample time for the Host Checker to complete. The page you will see while the Host Checker is running is shown below.
- You should now be presented with the VPN portal page as shown below. This means you have successfully logged in to the VPN appliance.
Problems You May Encounter
Although the login process is ordinarily fairly simple, you may occassionally encounter problems. Some common problems are described below.
- Host Checker Failed: If you are logging into the Extended Access realm, you may receive a warning like the one shown below.
- Concurrent Logon: Each user may only be logged into the VPN appliance with one session at a time. If the VPN appliance still has an active session for your account, you will see the following message when you try to log in:
I'm Still Having Problems
If you are still having problems accessing Advanstar's VPN, contact the Service Desk. If you are not an Advanstar employee, contact the Advanstar employee sponsoring your VPN access and ask them to contact the Advanstar Service Desk on your behalf. Please include email and phone contact information when reporting VPN connectivity issues.